Events in 2017
- 20-22 September 2017: Luca Aceto will be an invited speaker at the
8th International Symposium
on Games, Automata, Logics, and Formal Verification (GandALF'17),
Rome, Italy, 20--22 September 2017.
- 26-30 June 2017: Henning Ulfarsson will organize
Permutation Patterns 2017, The 15th
International Conference on Permutation Patterns at Reykjavik
University. Invited speakers are Peter Winkler (Dartmouth College) and
Vít Jelínek (Charles University).
- 19-23 June 2017: Luca Aceto and Anna Ingolfsdottir will organize
LICS 2017 at Reykjavik
University. The main conference will be preceded by
- Sunday, 18 June 2017: Luca Aceto will deliver an invited talk at 2nd Logic Mentoring
Workshop, co-located with LICS 2017.
- Sunday, 18 June 2017: ICE-TCS hosts and co-sponsors the
2nd Logic Mentoring
Workshop, co-located with LICS 2017.
- Friday, 9 June 2017: The
SIROCCO 2017 best
paper award goes to our own Magnus M. Halldorsson for the paper
"Leader Election in SINR Model with Arbitrary Power Control",
co-authored with Stephan Holzer and Evangelia Anna Markatou.
- Wednesday, 31 May 2017: Luca Aceto has joined the editorial board
(Leibniz International Proceedings in Informatics). He will
serve as member of that board for four years.
- Saturday, 27 May 2017: The paper
Universal Framework for Wireless Scheduling Problems
by E. I. Ásgeirsson, M. M. Halldorsson and T. Tonoyan will
receive the best paper award for Track C at
ICALP 2017. The programme for
the conference is
here, where the
best paper awardees are marked as such. ICALP is the annual conference
of the European Association for Theoretical Computer Science and is
one of the prime annual events in the field. Congratulations to Eyjó,
Magnús and Tigran!
- Friday, 28 April 2017: The 13th annual ICE-TCS Theory Day will be
held on this day from 1pm till 3pm in room M2.08 at Reykjavik
University. The event will feature invited talks by
Dexter Kozen (Cornell
Jason P. Smith
(Department of Computer and Information Sciences, University of
Strathclyde). Further details may be found here.
- Thursday, 27 April 2017:
Dexter Kozen (Cornell
University) will deliver a talk entitled NetKAT: A Formal System for the Verification of Networks from 4pm till
5pm in room M2.08 at Reykjavik University.
- Thursday, 27 April 2017:
Dexter Kozen (Cornell
University) will hold a mentoring session for students and young
researchers of all ages at RU from 12:00 till 13:00 in room M2.08 at
Reykjavik University. There will be pizza, courtesy of the School of
Computer Science. See here for
further information and to register for the event. Attendance is free.
- Thursday, 30 March 2017: Eyjolfur I. Asgeirsson has received the
2017 Reykjavik University Teaching Award. It is the first time that a
research-active faculty member receives this award. Congratulations to
- Friday, 10 March 2017: Magnus M. Halldorsson, the scientific
director of ICE-TCS, is the first researcher at reykjavik University
to have an h-index of 40 according to
Scholar. Congratulations to Magnus!
- Friday, 17 February 2017: ICE-TCS will celebrate Anna
Ingolfsdottir's 65th birthday with a small workshop that will take
place from 13:00 till 15:00 in room M2.08 at Reykjavik University. The
workshop will feature invited talks by
Kim G. Larsen (Aalborg
Riis Nielson (DTU). See here for the programme.
- Monday, 16 January 2017: The project Nýjar víddir í reikniritum
fyrir þráðlaus net (New horizons in algorithms for wireless
networks) with Magnús Már Halldórsson as PI has been funded by the
Icelandic Research Fund. The funding for the project is of 15,625,000
ISK (roughly 129,323 Euros). Congratulations to Magnús!
Events in 2016
- Friday, 21 October 2016: Magnus M. Hallsorsson will deliver a
Shannon Centenary talk.
- Thursday, 14 September 2016: Luca Aceto is a member of the
Steering Committee for GandALF, the International Symposium on
Games, Automata, Logics and Formal Verification.
- Friday, 8 July 2016: Agnes Cseh will be awarded the
Klaus Tschira Preis für
verständliche Wissenschaft, which is a 5000 Euro prize for the
most human-readable 3-page summary (in German) of a PhD thesis in
Mathematics. Congratulations to Agnes!
- 22-24 June 2016: Magnus M. Halldorsson will organize the
Symposium and Workshops on Algorithm Theory (SWAT 2016) at
- Saturday, 4 June 2016: Luca Aceto, Adrian Francalanza and Anna
Ingolfsdottir organize the workshop
Pre- and post-deployment
verification techniques (PrePost), co-located with
- 1-3 June 2015: Marjan Sirjani is general chair for the
12th International Conference on
integrated Formal Methods, iFM 2016, at Reykjavik
- Friday, 27 May 2016: The Theory Day 2016 will be held on this day
from 1:30pm till 3:30pm in room M1.02 at Reykjavik University. The
programme for this event may be found
- 23-27 May 2016: The ICE-TCS Theory Week features talks by Huimin
Lin (Chinese Academy of Sciences), Zoltan Esik (University of Szeged)
and Tamas Fleiner (Budapest University of Technology and
Economics). Murray Tannock's MSc Thesis defence also takes place
during this week.
- 9-13 May 2016: Magnus M. Halldórsson delivers an invited talk at
the 14th International Symposium on
Modeling and Optimization in Mobile, Ad Hoc and Wireless Networks
(WiOpt 2016), Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona, USA.
- Friday, 15 April 2016: Ali Jafari defends his PhD
thesis Performance Evaluation and Model Checking of Probabilistic
Real-time Actors at 16:00 in room M1.20. The thesis was supervised
by Marjan Sirjani and will be examined by
Hermanns (Saarland University, Germany) and
Wan Fokkink (VU Amsterdam, the
Netherlands). Further details are available
- Wednesday, 23 March 2016: Magnus M. Halldórsson delivers an
invited talk entitled ``What problem should I solve?'' and
Efficiency in Wireless Networks at the
Colloquium of Theoretical Computer Science (BCTCS 2016), Queen's
- Monday, 21 March 2016: ICE-TCS researchers have received the only
two project grants awarded by the Icelandic Research Fund for 2016
within the field of computer science. The two awarded grants are:
- TheoFoMon: Theoretical Foundations for Monitorability (Luca Aceto, PI;
Adrian Francalanza and Anna Ingolfsdottir
co-proposers; 23,917 K ISK, roughly 170,337 EUR).
- SEADA-Pilot (Marjan Sirjani, PI).
Events in 2015
Tuesday, 3 February 2015: The paper How Well Can Graphs
Represent Wireless Interference? by Magnus M. Halldorsson and
Tigran Tonoyan has been accepted for
STOC 2015: 47th Annual Symposium
on the Theory of Computing, Portland, Oregon, June 15-17
2015. STOC is one of the most prestigious and competitive conferences
in TCS. Congratulations to Magnus and Tigran!
24-29 January 2015: Magnus M. Halldorsson will be invited speaker
at the 41st International
Conference on Current Trends in Theory and Practice of Computer
Science (SOFSEM 2015.
Tuesday, 13 January 2015: Researchers affiliated with ICE-TCS have been awarded three grants by the Icelandic Research Fund for 2015. The funded projects are:
- Monday, 2 November 2015: Magnus M. Halldorsson has been elected
to the Council of the
for a news item (in Icelandic).
- 21-23 October 2015: Luca Aceto and Anna Ingolfsdottir will be PC
co-chairs and organizers for the
27th Nordic Workshop on
Programming Theory (NWPT 2015) at Reykjavik University.
- 6-11 September 2015: Magnus Halldorsson was an invited speaker at
Cycles and colourings, High Tatras, Slovakia.
- 9-11 September 2015: Luca Aceto will be an invited speaker at
ICTCS 2015, the 16th Italian
Conference on Theoretical Computer Science, Firenze, Italy.
- 31 August-5 September 2015: Luca Aceto will be PC co-chair for
the 26th International Conference on Concurrency Theory (CONCUR 2015),
- Friday, 21 August 2015: The
ICE-TCS Theory Day for
2015 will take place at 2pm in room M1.04 at Reykjavik
University. The event will feature presentations by
(College de France),
Einarsson (ETH Zurich) and
Wattenhofer (ETH Zurich). During this event we will also celebrate
the tenth birthday of ICE-TCS, which was founded at the end of April
- Thursday, 20 August 2015:
(College de France) will deliver a public talk entitled The
algorithmic revolution in the sciences at 5pm in room V101 at
Reykjavik University. This is a joint event with
- 20-21 August 2015:
(College de France), recipient of the CNRS Gold Medal 2014, visits
ICE-TCS. During his stay, Gerard will deliver a public talk and a
presentation at the ICE-TCS Theory Day. Further details related to
Gerard's visit will be announced in due course.
- 6-10 July 2015: Magnus M. Halldorsson is the PC chair for the
Track C of ICALP
- 5 July 2015: Magnus M. Halldorsson organizes the
Sixth Workshop on Realistic
models for Algorithms in Wireless Networks (WRAWN) in Kyoto,
Japan. The workshop is co-located with ICALP 2015.
- Wednesday, 29 April 2015: ICE-TCS is ten years old!
- Tuesday, 21 April 2015: ICE-TCS researchers contribute three
talks to the
University Lecture Marathon for 2015. The talks were:
- Anna Ingólfsdóttir. Reasoning logically about knowledge is fun. [Video]
Luca Aceto. Are models logical? [Video]
Henning Úlfarsson. A surprising bijection between permutations and polygons. [Video]
These were the only grants awarded in the field of computer science
this year. Full details are
Sunday, 11 January 2015: Henning Ulfarsson will deliver an
invited presentation entitled Struct: An algorithm for guessing the
structure and enumeration of permutation sets at the AMS Special
Session on Enumerative Combinatorics that takes place at the
Joint Mathematics Meetings.
- Magnús Már Halldórsson (with Eyjólfur Ingi Ásgeirsson, Marijke
Hilde Lore Bodlaender and Roger Wattenhofer). Models of
Unreliability and Dynamics in Wireless Networks. Amount: 9,264,000
- Páll Melsted (University of Iceland, together with Lior Samuel Pachter). Streaming algorithms for whole genome assembly. Amount: 9,950,000 ISK.
- Ýmir Vigfússon (with Leon Danon and Guðrún Sigmundsdóttir). Detecting outbreaks with mobile phone data. Amount: 9,240,000 ISK.
Events in 2014
- 29-31 October 2014: Anna Ingolfsdottir will be an invited speaker
ay the 26th
Nordic Workshop on Programming Theory, NWPT '14, Halmstad
- 23-24 October 2014: Anna Ingolfsdottir is in the evaluation panel
for the degree programmes in Computer Science at the University of
Aarhus and the University of Copenhagen.
- 15-16 October 2014: Together with Ilaria Castellani and Rocco De
Nicola, Luca Aceto and Anna Ingolfsdottir organize a
two-day workshop in
honour of Matthew Hennessy's 65th birthday. The workshop will be held
at IMT Lucca, Italy.
- Monday, 22 September 2014:
Garcia Perez has joined the concurrency group within ICE-TCS as a
post-doctoral researcher for two years.
- Wednesday, 27 August 2014: Vignir Örn Guðmundsson defends his MSc
thesis, which was co-supervised by Luca Aceto and
Lindvall (Fraunhofer Center for Experimental Software Engineering,
USA). The defence will take place at 10:00 in room M209 at Reykjavik
- 25-29 August 2014:
Lindvall (Fraunhofer Center for Experimental Software Engineering,
USA) visits ICE-TCS at Reykjavik University. The hosts for his visit
are Luca Aceto and Ingolfsdottir.
- Friday, 22 August 2014: The 10th ICE-TCS Theory Day will be held
on this day from 2pm till 4pm in room M1.04. As a special guest, we
will have Erik Demaine (MIT), who
will deliver a public talk as well as a more technical talk during the
Theory Day. More details on this event are available
- Thursday, 21 August 2014: ICE-TCS, the School of Computer Science
at Reykjavik University and the Icelandic Academy of Sciences jointly
organize a workshop on Art and Science at Reykjavik University. The
event will feature a public talk by
Erik Demaine (MIT) as well as
presentations by Kjartan Emilsson (CCP) and
Másdóttir. More details on the event are available
- 20-27 August 2014: Erik
Demaine (MIT) visits ICE-TCS at Reykjavik University. The hosts
for is stay will be Luca Aceto, Magnus M. Halldorsson and Anna
- Friday, 22 August 2014: The 10th ICE-TCS Theory Day will be held
on this day. As a special guest, we will have
Erik Demaine (MIT), who will
deliver a public talk as well as a more technical talk during the
Theory Day. More details on this event will be posted in due
- Monday, 18 August 2014: Dario Della Monica will deliver a
tutorial at ECAI 2014
entitled Temporal Representation and Reasoning in Interval Temporal
Logics. The tutorial will be given jintly with Angelo Montanari
and Pietro Sala.
- Tuesday, 22 July 2014: Luca Aceto has been elected as a member of
the Informatics section of the
Academia Europaea, the Academy of
- 15-18 July 2014: Magnus M. Halldorsson has received an ACM Recognition
of Service Award at PODC 2014.
- 15 July 2014: Magnus M. Halldorsson has organized the
Fifth Workshop on Realistic
models for Algorithms in Wireless Networks (WRAWN) in Paris,
France. The workshop was co-located with PODC 2014.
- Friday, 11 July 2014:
Tonoyan has joined ICE-TCS as a postdoctoral researcher, working
with Magnus M. Halldorsson.
- Tuesday, 8 July 2014: Luca Aceto has been re-elected president of
the European Association
for Theoretical Computer Science for a second two-year term.
- Wednesday, 2 July 2014: Luca Aceto is a member of the Executive
Committee and of the Awards Committee of the
ACM Special Interest Group on Logic
and Computation (SIGLOG).
- 25-29 May 2014: The paper First Steps towards Automated
Synthesis of Tableau Systems for Interval Temporal Logics by Dario
Della Monica, Angelo Montanari, Guido Sciavicco and Dmitry Tishkovsky
has received the best paper award at
Fifth International Conference on Computational Logics, Algebras,
Programming, Tools, and Benchmarking (COMPUTATION TOOLS 2014).
- Wednesday, 14 May 2014: Sigríður Lína Viðarsdóttir defends her
MSc thesis entitled Isomorphisms between consecutive pattern
classes at 09:00 in room M104 at Reykjavik University. Lina's
thesis was supervised by Henning Arnór Úlfarsson (ICE-TCS). The
members of the evaluation Committee are Anders Claesson (Senior
Lecturer at Strathclyde University) and Mike Atkinson (Professor
Emiritus, University of Otago.) See
- Monday, 17 February 2014: Magnus M. Halldorsson has accepted to
become Associate Editor for the journal Discrete Optimization.
- 17-19 March 2014: Adrian
Francalanza (University of Malta) delivers a five-hour mini-course
on Fundamentals of Monitors and Runtime Verification.
- Monday, 10 February 2014: The project Formal Methods for the
Development and Evaluation of Sustainable Systems has been
approved for funding under the
Programme NILS Science and
Sustainability (Abel - Coordinated Mobility for Researchers) as
part of the research within Priority Sectors Programme of the EEA
Grants Framework. The project is a collaboration between Reykjavik
University and Universidad Complutense de Madrid, and is led by Luca
Aceto and Anna Ingolfsdottir (ICE-TCS) and David de Frutos Escrig
(UCM). The total funding is 100,050 € for 2014-2015.
- 27-31 January 2014: Guy Even, Magnus M. Halldorsson, Yvonne-Ann
Pignolet and Christian Scheider are organizers of a Dagstuhl workshop
on "Algorithms for Wireless Communication".
- Thursday, 16 January 2014: ICE-TCS researchers have been awarded
two of the nine project grants in Engineering, Technical Science and
Physical Sciences for 2014 of the Icelandic Research Fund. The funded projects are:
The list of projects selected for funding is
- Finding structure in sets of permutations (Henning A. Ulfarsson PI; Michael H. Albert, Anders Karl Claesson co-proposers) and
- Nominal Structural Operational Semantics (Luca Aceto, PI;
Anna Ingolfsdottir, MohammadReza Mousavi and Davide Sangiorgi
- 14 January-14 May 2014: Magnús Halldórsson, Carsten Thomassen, Andrzej
Rucinski and Klas Markstroem will organize a special half-year on Graphs,
Hypergraphs, and Computing at Institut Mittag-Leffler in
Events in 2013
- Tuesday, 31 December 2013: ICE-TCS has reached two new
milestones. As of today, ICE-TCS researchers have published over 200
journal papers (203, to be precise) and over 400 refereed publications
overall (403, to be precise). See here
for the full list of publications since the start of the centre at the
end of April 2005.
- Friday, 20 December 2014: The Technical Development Fund of
Rannis has funded the project Námsgögn framtíðarinnar, led by
Vignir Örn Guðmundsson at Radiant Games, for 12 million ISK a year for
the next 3 years. Vignir is an MSc student affiliated with
ICE-TCS. The list of funded projects is
- Monday, 16 December 2013: Georgiana Caltais defends her PhD
thesis entitled Coalgebraic Tools
for Bisimilarity and Decorated Trace Semantics. The thesis
defence will take place at Radboud University Nijmegen as part of a
double degree agreement. Georgiana's official supervisor at Reykjavik
University is Anna Ingólfsdóttir.
- Thursday, 5 December 2013: Magnus M. Halldorsson, the director of
ICE-TCS, will be the Program Chair for Track C (Foundations of
Networked Computation) of the scientific program of ICALP 2015, which
will be held in Kyoto in co-location with LICS.
- Tuesday, 26 November 2013: We are happy to announce
Páll Melsted (Faculty of
Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Computer Science,
University of Iceland, and Decode Genetics) has joined ICE-TCS. Páll
will contribute to the centre with his work in algorithmics and
- Thursday, 26 September 2013: Dario Della Monica receives one of
Distinguished Dissertation Prizes in the area of Computational Logic
for 2010-2011. The prizes are presented during the
- 5-6 September 2013: Magnús Halldórsson will be an invited speaker at
2013, the 9th International Symposium on Algorithms and Experiments
for Sensor Systems, Wireless Networks and Distributed Robotics,
September 5-6, 2013 Sophia Antipolis, France. The event is co-located
with ALGO 2013.
Thursday, 22 August 2013: Eugen-Ioan Goriac will
defend his PhD thesis at 10am in room TBA at Reykjavik University.
The examination committee for the thesis will
consist of Jos Baeten (Director of CWI Amsterdam, NL), MohammadReza
Mousavi (Halmstad University, Sweden) as well as ICE-TCS members Luca
Aceto and Anna Ingolfsdottir, who supervised the thesis.
- 22-24 July 2013: Magnús M. Halldórsson is the treasurer of PODC 2013.
- 21 July 2013: Magnús M. Halldórsson organizes the
Fourth Workshop on Realistic models for
Algorithms in Wireless Networks (WRAWN) in Montreal, Canada, in
co-location with PODC 2013.
- 23-28 June 2013: Magnús Halldórsson will be an invited speaker at
MAPSP '13 (11th Workshop on Models
and Algorithms for Planning and Scheduling Problems).
- Thursday, 20 June 2013: ICE-TCS member Marjan Sirjani has been
promotoed to a full professor position at the School of Computer
Science, Reykjavik University. Congratulations to Marjan!
- 6-12 June 2013: ICE-TCS hosts Ice
Break 2013, a six-day (PhD) course with emphasis on symmetric
cryptography and with world-class lecturers.
- Friday, 24 May 2013: Magnús M. Halldórsson will deliver a talk to
celebrate the centenary of the birth of
Erdös. The presentation, which is organized jointly with the
Icelandic Mathematical Society, is entitled Paul Erdös Centennial:
The master collaborator and will be held at 2pm in room M1.08 at
- 19-21 April 2013: Magnús M. Halldórsson is one of the invited
speakers at the 6th
Annual Meeting of the AAAC in Matsushima, Japan.
- Friday, 22 March 2013: The Theory Day 2013 will be held from 2pm
till 4pm in room M1.04 at Reykjavik University. Further details will
be available in due course.
- Tuesday, 5 March 2013: Dario Della Monica has received the
Young researcher award for 2011 of the University of Udine
- 3-8 March 2013: Magnús Már Halldórsson will deliver the doctoral
course Approximation Algorithms for Unweighted Graph Problems
at the 18th Estonian Winter
School in Computer Science, EWSCS '13, Palmse, Estonia, 3-8 March
- 1 February onwards:
Pearls of Computation
seminar series organized by ICE-TCS and the School of Computer
Events in 2012
- Thursday, 13 December 2012: Kristján V. Jónsson
defends his PhD thesis The Security Properties of In-network
Aggregation at 10am in room V1.02 at Reykjavik University. The
thesis is supervised by ICE-TCS member Ýmir Vigfússon. The
evaluation committee consists of Mads F. Dam (KTH Sweden), Magnús Már Halldórsson
(Reykjavik University) and Philippe Bonnet (IT Univ. of
Copenhagen, Denmark). More details are available here. Kristján
V. Jónsson is the third PhD student graduating under the
supervision of an ICE-TCS member.
- Friday, 30 November 2012: Páll Melsted (University of
Iceland) delivers an ICE-TCS seminar entitled The greatest theorem
you'll never use! at 2pm in room M1.09 at Reykjavik University.
This seminar, which is organized jointly with the Icelandic Mathematical Society,
will celebrate the award of the 2012
Abel Prize to Endre
Szemerédi. More details are available here.
- Friday, 9 November 2012: Vignir Örn Guðmundsson (Reykjavik
University) delivered the seminar number 200 in the ICE-TCS seminar
- Monday, 5 November 2012:
Della Monica has been awarded the GULP prize for the best PhD
dissertation in the area of Computational Logic for the years
2010-2011. GULP is the Italian
Association for Logic Programming. Congratulations to Dario!
- 6 September 2012: Screening of the drama documentary film
- Friday, 17 August 2012: The ICE-TCS Theory Day for 2012 will be
held on this date from 2pm till about 3:50pm in room M1.03 ar
Reykjavik University. The programme for the event is available
- Monday, 9 July 2012: Luca Aceto has been elected as the new
president of the European Association for
Theoretical Computer Science (EATCS), to serve for the next two
- Sunday, 8 July 2012: Magnus Halldorsson organizes the
The Third Workshop on Realistic models for
Algorithms in Wireless Networks (WRAWN), co-located with
- 30 June-2 July 2012: Magnus Halldorsson will host the
International Colloquium on Structural Information and Communication
Complexity (SIROCCO 2012) at Reykjavik University. Magnus is also
PC co-chair for the event.
- May-June 2012: Luca Aceto delivers the doctoral courses Modelling,
Specification and Verification of Reactive Systems and All you ever wanted to
know about writing or refereeing papers, and giving talks, but you
never dared to ask at at IMT Lucca.
- 23-27 April 2012: Luca Aceto delivers an invited MSc course on
Bisimilarity and Logic at Universidad Complutense de Madrid,
- 29 March 2012: Performance of the play Alan M. Turing: The Man
and the Scientist.
- Friday, 23 March 2012: Luca Aceto has received the Reykjavik
University Research Award for 2012. This is the second time that the
award has gone to an ICE-TCS researcher in three years.
- Year round:
Centenary Events at Reykjavik University.
Events in 2011
- Friday, 18 November 2011: Matteo Cimini defends his PhD thesis
entitled Contributions to the Meta-Theory of Structural Operational
Semantics. The defence will take place at 2pm in room M1.04 at
Reykjavik University. The examination committee for the thesis will
consist of Wan Fokkink (Vrije
Universiteit Amsterdam, NL),
(Trinity College Dublin,
Mousavi (Eindhoven University of Technology, NL) as well as Luca
Aceto and Anna Ingolfsdottir, who supervised the thesis.
- 12-13 November 2011: Henning Úlfarsson organizes the
conference Mathematics in
Iceland (biennial conference of the Icelandic Mathematical
Society). The event features talks by ICE-TCS members Luca Aceto,
Bjarni V. Halldórsson and Henning Úlfarsson.
- 5-9 September 2011: Magnus Halldorsson is PC chair for the 19th
Annual European Symposium on Algorithms Saarbruecken, Germany.
- Friday, 22 July 2011: Magnus Halldorsson organizes an informal
day of short seminars, with a broad theme of "distributed
computing". The RU Distributed Computing Day features both visitors
and recent returnees. The location is Sirius 1 (M.3.03) and the programme is
- 10:30 Pierre Fraigniaud, Paris Diderot: Locality in distributed computing
- 11:00 Lelia Blin, U. Evry: Self-stabilization
- 11:30 Pradipta Mitra, RU: What problems to solve
- 13:30 Pall Melsted: Problems in transcriptome assembly
- 14:00 Ymir Vigfusson, RU: Multicasting in distributed systems
- 14:30 Magnus M. Halldorsson, RU: Algorithms related to packet admission in networks
- 4-8 July 2011: Luca Aceto is PC chair for the track B
of ICALP 2011.
- 30 June-1 July 2011: Magnus Halldorsson organizes the second Workshop on Realistic Models for Algorithms
in Wireless Networks. The workshop, which is supported by a grant
from Reykjavik University's Development Fund, will be held at
- 13-17 June 2011: Sergey Kitaev and Henning Ulfarsson are members
of the organizing committee for FPSAC
2011, the 23rd International Conference on Formal Power Series and
Algebraic Combinatorics, which will take place in Reykjavik.
- 9 June 2011: Luca Aceto co-chairs the workshop Process Algebra and
Coordination (PACO) 2011. This event is a a satellite workshop
of Discotec 2011, to be held at Reykjavik University, and is devoted
to the study of the relationships between process algebras and
coordination languages. Further details on this workshop will be
available in due course.
- 6-9 June 2011: Marjan Sirjani is general chair of DisCoTec 2011, 6th International Federated
Conferences on Distributed Computing Techniques at Reykjavik
- Thursday, 26 May 2011: Georges Gonthier (Microsoft Research,
Cambridge, UK) delivers a public talk entitled Verifying the Four
Colour Theorem. The talk, which will be held in room V1.01 at
Reykjavik University, is organized jointly by ICE-TCS and the
Icelandic Mathematical Society. The abstract for the talk and a
biographical sketch for the speaker are available here. The talk will be preceded by some light
refreshments at 4.30pm.
- 23-27 May 2011: ICE-TCS hosts the yearly meeting of the IFIP
Working Group 2.1 on Algorithmic Languages and Calculi. The event
will take place at Reykjavik University.
- Friday, 20 May 2011: The ICE-TCS Theory Day for 2011 will be held
on this day. The programme for the event is available here.
- Thursday, 28 April 2011: The concurrency group within ICE-TCS
organizes a one-day thematic workshop on
Operational Semantics and the Equational Logic of
Processes. The workshop, which is supported by a grant from
Reykjavik University's Development Fund and the Rannis project
Algebraic Process Theories (Rannis Project nr. 100014021),
will feature invited presentations by Wan Fokkink, Bas Luttik,
MohammadReza Mousavi and Michel Reniers and contributions by some
ICE-TCS members. Details on this event, which will be held in room
M3.10 at Reykjavik University, are available
- 20-22 April 2011: Marjan Sirjani co-chairs
Events in 2010
- Wednesday, 15 September 2010: Luca Aceto, Anna Ingolfsdottir and
Joshua Sack organize a one-day Workshop on Logic and Concurrency at
Reykjavik University. A preliminary programme for this event, which
will be held in room M1.15 at Reykjavik University (Menntavegur 1), is
available on the
- Monday, 30 August 2010: Luca Aceto co-chairs
SOS 2010, the
seventh workshop on Structural Operational Semantics, in Paris.
- Wednesday, 9 June 2010: Magnus Halldorsson organizes an
ICE-TCS Algorithms Day, featuring two celebrated visitors: The event will also
feature short talks by ICE-TCS members. See here for the
programme and further information.
- 26-28 May 2010: ICE-TCS hosts the 10th Nordic
Combinatorial Conference (NORCOM 2010) at Reykjavik
University. The event will feature invited talks by two members of
ICE-TCS, viz. Magnus M. Halldorsson and Luca Q. Zamboni, both from
- Friday, 30 April 2010: ICE-TCS turns five today! As part of the
celebrations, we will hold the 2010 edition of the ICE-TCS Theory Day
on this day. The programme for the event, which will see talks by
guests from abroad and ICE-TCS members, is available here. The event will start at 13:00 and
will be held in room M1.13 at Reykjavik University (Menntavegur
Events in 2009
- Friday, 4 December 2009: Elena Losievskaja defends her
Ph.D. thesis Approximation Algorithms for Independent Set Problems
on Hypergraphs, supervised by Magnus M. Halldorsson. The thesis
defence will take place at Reykjavik University in room 101 (Ofanleiti
2) at 14:00. The evaluation committee for the thesis consists of Bjarni V. Halldorsson
(Reykjavik University), Hadas Shachnai
(Technion, Haifa, Israel), Sven Sigurdsson (University of Iceland) and
Mario Szegedy (Rutgers
University, NJ, USA).
- 11 July 2009: Marjan Sirjani is co-chair of 8th International Workshop on the
Foundations of Coordination Languages and Software Architectures
FOCLASA'09, a satellite workshop of the 36th International
Colloquium on Automata, Languages and Programming (ICALP'09).
- Friday, 19 June 2009: The fourth edition of the ICE-TCS Theory
Day will be held on this day. More information on the event, which
will feature a keynote address by Zoltan Esik (University of Szeged,
Hungary) and a talk by Paul van Tilburg (Eindhoven University of
Technology, NL), is available here.
- 18-22 May 2009: Marco
Bernardo (University of Urbino, Italy) visits ICE-TCS. During his
stay, Marco will deliver a one-week course entitled A
Process Algebraic Approach to Software Architecture
- 15-17 April 2009: Marjan Sirjani is co-chair of Third FSEN: IPM International
Conference on Fundamentals of Software Engineering (FSEN09).
Events in 2008
- Saturday, 20 December 2008: Magnus Halldorsson (Reykjavik
University) will co-organize a special session on Optimization and
Approximation in conjunction with CiE 2009:
COMPUTABILITY IN EUROPE 2009 - Mathematical Theory and Computational
Practice, Heidelberg, Germany, 19-24 July 2009.
- Thursday, 4 September-Friday, 12 September 2008: Wolfgang
Merkle (Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg, Germany)
delivers a 16-lecture
course on Randomized algorithms.
- 4-13 July 2008: We organize ICALP 2008 and its 12 affiliated
events. Make sure you don't miss this scientific feast!
- 4-6 July 2008: ICE-TCS hosts the DYNAMO
PhD School as part of the ICALP events.
- Friday, 30 May 2008: The fourth ICE-TCS Theory Day will be held
on this day from 13:00 till about 16:45 in room K5 at Reykjavik
University (Kringlan 1). The programme for the event is available here.
- Friday, 25 April 2008: David Harel
(Dept. of Computer Science and Applied Mathematics, The Weizmann
Institute of Science, Israel) visits ICE-TCS and Reykjavik
University. Harel will deliver the following two talks.
Both talks will be held at Reykjavik University, and their abstracts
are available here.
A short biography for
the speaker is available here.
- In Silico Biology, or On Comprehensive and Realistic
Modeling (10:00-11:00 in room K5, Kringlan 1) and
- Computers are Not Omnipotent (16:00-17:00 in room 101,
Ofanleiti 2). This talk will be a public talk for a general audience.
Events in 2007
- 11-12 October 2007: Magnus M. Halldorsson and Anna Ingolfsdottir
co-organize NordSec 2007
at Reykjavik University. The workshop features invited talks by Cedric Fournet
(Microsoft Research, Cambridge, UK) and Greg Morissett (Harvard
- Friday, 7 September 2007: Luca Aceto and Anna Ingolfsdottir
co-organize the workshop Applying Concurrency
Research in Industry (IFIP WG 1.8), co-located with CONCUR 2007,
- Friday, 10 August 2007: The third ICE-TCS Theory Day will be held
from 13:00 till about 17:30 in room K1 (Kringlan 1) at Reykjavik
University. A preliminary programme for the event, which will feature
eature Magnus M. Halldorsson's inaugural professorial address at RU,
is available here.
- 16-20 July 2007: ICE-TCS helps organize the 2007
meeting of Working Group 2.8 on Functional Programming.
- Thursday, 29 March 2007: ICE-TCS co-organizes a conference on
science funding in Iceland.
Events in 2006
- Wednesday, 18 October-Friday, 20 October, 2006: ICE-TCS organizes
the 18th Nordic Workshop on
Programming Theory at Reykjavik
- Monday, 16 October, 2006: ICE-TCS will host a mini course on Model
Checking for Real-time Systems held by Kim G. Larsen. The course will
be held at Reykjavik University, Kringlan 1, from 8:30 till 12:00 in
Participation in the course is free. A poster for the course (in Icelandic) is
- Sunday, 2 July 2006: ICE-TCS organizes the track on Approximation
Algorithms at EURO XXI, 21st
European Conference on Operational Research, July 2-5, 2006,
- Monday, 12 June-Friday 16 June, 2006: The conference
2006 will be held at Reykjavík University. This conference is organized by the
Combinatorics group affiliated with ICE-TCS, and will see the participation of about 45 researchers.
- Thursday, 1 June 2006: Moshe Vardi
(Rice University, USA) delivers an ICE-TCS public "Gödel Centenary" lecture entitled
And Logic Begat Computer Science: When Giants Roamed the Earth.
The talk will be held at 17:00 in room 101
at Reykjavík University. Refreshments will be served at 16:30.
The abstract for
the seminar is available here. The poster (in Icelandic)
is available here.
- Wednesday, 31 May 2006: The second ICE-TCS Symposium will be
held today from 10am till 4:30pm at Askja, N-132, University of Iceland.
[Programme for the event]
Events in 2005